[ih] Dot Com etc

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Thu Jan 21 05:22:27 PST 2010

> > I wish I had copies of the email discussions between April '84 and October
> '84
> > but I don't.  My guess is that the discussion was in NAMEDROPPERS but I
> > only have a very limited archive of old NAMEDROPPERS email.
>
> ftp://ftp.psg.com/pub/lists/1983 and forward may help you
>
> they're also in mhonarc form at http://psg.com/lists/namedroppers/

Hi Randy:

This is wonderful!  Thank you!

A quick scan reveals some details.  The big TLD shift came between
30 April 1984 and 11 May 1984.  A note from Jon of a draft of what
became RFC 920 on 30 April still uses Grapevine-like naming.  A note
from Jon on 11 May 1984 has TLDs close to how we know them today.

However, the May 1984 has some notable differences.  .GOV and .EDU are
there but there's .DDN (which became .MIL), .COR (for Corporate and
become .COM) and .PUB (which became .ORG).

Vigorous discussion promptly erupts on the list as the new idea is debated.

But much is going on in the background and a quick read of the list
suggests that only the creation of country codes came from public
correspondence (I was reading quickly and may have missed things).

In July 1984 we have a TLD list of ARPA, GOV, EDU, COM, MIL and ORG
and 2-letter ISO country codes for countries.

Thanks!

Craig