[ih] bang paths, was Domain Names

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Thu Jan 21 05:04:21 PST 2010

Ah this brings back fun memories.

My favorite one of this score was princeton.  There was a princeton.bitnet
and princeton.csnet and they were not connected to each other.  The story
(perhaps apocryphal) was that the sys admins would meet once a week to swap
mag tapes of misdirected email.

Craig
(one of the techies who ran the CSNET relay in the 1980s).

> On Jan 20, 2010, at 2:55 PM, Dave CROCKER wrote:
>
> > On 1/20/2010 8:37 AM, Craig Partridge wrote:
> >> The assimilation of USENET (and CSNET and to a lesser degree BITNET) into
> >> ARPANET was intentionally enabled...
> >
> > Each of these had their own syntax.
>

> One of the challenging things in the 1980s was getting mail from one network
> to another.   Figuring out how to manually route through gateways was somethi
> ng of a black art -- and often not officially sanctioned... as mail loads got
>  heavier, sometimes postmasters would ask for people to stop using their conn
> ections.
>
> At the time, getting a connection to ARPAnet was still quite a non-trivial pr
> ocess; apart from the large research universities very few places had a circu
> it.   CSNET and BITNET both helped fill that gap since NSF approval wasn't re
> quired.  In the case of BITNET all a site needed was an IBM system running VM
>  (or a VAX which could speak the IBM RSCS protocol), and a friendly partner w
> ho would accept a leased line connection.   The ARPAnet had already solved th
> e HOSTS.TXT problem by moving to DNS, but BITNET maintained a flat file of al
> l connected hosts (and their peers) which was updated manually; routing was h
> andled by RSCS, no explicit path knowledge was needed by the sender or appear
> ed in the mail header (user at node sufficed).  UUCP relied on explicit path rou
> ting ("bang paths": e.g. !rutgers!decwrl!user) until pathalias [1] became wid
> espread and addresses of the form user at node.uucp were supported.
>
> There was a mailing list dedicated to network topics known as INFO-NETS hoste
> d at MIT.    After about a year of research I had a fairly complete map showi
> ng all the mail gateways.   As a point of historical interest in 1991 I sent
> a copy to John Quarterman and it appeared in Matrix News (Volume 1, Number 6;
>  September 1991).
>
> The "well known" gateways were also well-connected and on multiple networks.
>   Typically they had mailers which could reliably parse addresses, rewrite he
> aders as needed, and get mail moving on to the next hop.    Manually routed m
> ail could use the percent routing hack, quoted components, source routing, or
>  weird combinations of all of them at once.    It was really pretty amazing s
> ome of the stuff that would work.  Lots of people in that era became sendmail
>  wizards (often against their will!).  On any given network, people knew the
> host of last resort by heart... you'd hear lots of "just send it to (ucbvax,
> wiscvm, ihnp4), they can probably get it there".
>
> A whacky example: Mail from a MAILNET connected host to someone inside DEC (r
> outed via their UUCP connection):
> "rutgers!decvax!decwrl!KYOA::USER"%rutgers.arpa at mit-multics.mailnet
>
> Some well-connected sites included:  Cal Berkeley (UCBVAX, UCBARPA, BERKELEY)
>  [ARPA, UUCP], Univ. Delaware (UDEL-RELAY) [ARPA, CSNET], Univ. of Wisconsin
> [...]
Craig Partridge
Chief Scientist, BBN Technologies
E-mail: craig at aland.bbn.com or craig at bbn.com
Phone: +1 517 324 3425