[ih] Dot Com etc

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Wed Jan 20 15:05:18 PST 2010

There was, of course, the .ARPA domain that came first.  One day, all of the hosts in the SRI-NIC's HOSTS.TXT file grew aliases with the .ARPA suffix.  For some period of time during the transition to the operational DNS, the NIC continued to add hosts with domain names (other than .ARPA) to the HOSTS.TXT file.

I suppose the real "flag day" for the DNS was when the HOSTS.TXT file stopped getting updated or distributed.

The HOSTS.TXT file also contained (classfull) network names as networks were allocated out of the IPv4 address space.  I don't think this capability was really ever reimplemented in the DNS, especially when CIDR and classless network prefxes came on the scene and you couldn't obviously identify the "network" number by examination.   Few programs really depended on this, and now we've got WHOIS and the like to bang against the registrars.

Louis Mamakos