[ih] Domain Names

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Tue Jan 19 20:46:26 PST 2010

we had host.txt that mapped host names into IP addresses.
SRI NIC managed it and you downloaded this text file as reference to
map into IP addresses.

Host names before DNS were simple things like MIT, UCLA, etc

so an email address might be something like vcerf at isi-c

the domain name system introduced hierarchy, cacheing, timeouts, and
so on as well as FQDN concept.

vint