[ih] Fate of Alohanet

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Thu Feb 25 05:33:56 PST 2010

the alohanet terminals were just that, terminals. Alohanet terminated
at the Menehune and the character streams went into the local Univ
Hawaii host. Terminals could then run Telnet to get out on the the
ARPANET from the host. Best guess is that the PRNET picked up where
Alohanet left off in terms of radio-based network research (and of
course, also the Atlantic Satellite Network). I joined ARPA that year
but didn't have any direct involvement in the Alohanet effort. Norm
Abramson or Frank Kuo could likely give more detail or maybe Bob Kahn.