[ih] Fate of Alohanet

Matthias Bärwolff mbaer at cs.tu-berlin.de
Fri Apr 2 21:20:39 PDT 2010

>From Richard Binder, 03/13/2010 03:08 AM; just for the record; didn't
make it to the list despite the list being cc-ed.

__________

Matthias,

re the arpanet connection: I can't recall our actual experiences with it
when it became operational, but I think the 1974 final report was just
saying that the software etc work wasn't completed till then.

Also, I think the terms "NCP" and "Telnet" may have been used loosely in
that report to refer to the Menehune software involved in arpanet
communication - since a TIP was involved and the aim was to let alohanet
users connect to arpanet hosts using their 'dumb' terminals (and not the
reverse), I think the menehune just set up temporary connections between
users and TIP ports and provided the necessary Telnet-prescribed flow
control (but I could be mistaken).

As for the manual retransmission required after the three automatic
attempts, I think that almost never happened. The channel traffic
should have been necessary.

If you don't already have it, the paper "Aloha packet broadcasting -- a
retrospect", written near the end of the project in late 1974, is
probably the most definitive description of Alohanet and its operation
still around. It was given at the May 1975 NCC and is available for a
fee from acm at  http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1499985  .

btw, why the interest in alohanet?

Richard