[ih] What is the origin of the private network address 192.168.*.*?

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Thu Sep 10 14:28:45 PDT 2009

I think that I recall at the time there was desire to have class-A,
class-B and class-C private address space for private networks.  I'm
not sure where the lined up against the transition to CIDR-style
prefixes, but there were a considerable number of "legacy" systems at
the time that had classfull IP addresses wired into their code.

As Craig pointed out, net 10 was easy, as it had just been recently
decommissioned.  Perhaps the class-B and class-C prefixes just
happened to be where the IANA was in the allocation process at the time?

Louis Mamakos