[ih] lack of service guarantees in the internet meaning that it cannot ever "fail"

Matthias Bärwolff mbaer at cs.tu-berlin.de
Mon Oct 26 07:38:16 PDT 2009

Hi,

has anyone here ever seen a source with an explicit elaboration of the
notion that if a subnetwork (or the Internet) makes no guarantees about
its service, then it cannot logically ever fail. (Accordingly, TCP can
be made to never time out even if civilization around it has dawned for
good.) Just a minor point, but a somewhat intriguing to me. Let me know
if this is just stupid thinking of mine, or if others have ever
elaborated on this, or if you have any thoughts or recollections.

Best, Matthias

--
Matthias Bärwolff
www.bärwolff.de