[ih] ARPAnet Type 3 packets (datagrams)

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Thu Nov 26 08:25:14 PST 2009

noel, wrong on your analysis of the RFNM. RFNM refers
to MESSAGE (that is what the host sends). the Host
does not get to send anything until it gets a RFNM (or
Incomplete Transmission I guess)
from the last MESSAGE, no matter how long or short
the message was. A single packet message served
as an automatic "get a block" request. A multipacket
message does the "get a block" routine. The full
MESSAGE is sent to the IMP from the Host and the
Host is blocked until it gets a RFNM or Incomplete.
You are correct that you could have up to 8 packets in
flight but the Host is unaware of the breaking up of
MESSAGES into packets.

Vint