[ih] ARPAnet Type 3 packets (datagrams)

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Wed Nov 25 21:32:41 PST 2009

Richard, ARPANET was not circuit switched in the traditional sense of
the word. Packets were dynamically routed. There was end/end RFNM for
flow control (that actually inhibited use of things like the TCP/IP
window in the NCP protocol). Buffer space was reserved at the far end
to deal with reassembly lockup. "get a block" "got a block" handshake
assured that no multi-packet message would be initiated without
adequate space in the destination IMP.  There was no priority for type
3 packets. there was priority for ARPANET (IMP level) control packets.