[ih] ARPAnet Type 3 packets (datagrams)

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Wed Nov 25 14:24:23 PST 2009

My memory was that BBN included type 3 (Uncontrolled or "raw") messages
in the IMP protocol as an experiment, which they then considered too
dangerous to use . BBN disabled them at (almost?) all hosts (almost?)
all the time, I believe.  TCP/IP used standard reliably-delivered IMP
traffic. But the facility must have been enabled for the packet voice
experiments shown in that marvelous video.

My memory on this point is hazy, but probably Vint can correct me. When
Barry Leiner became (D)ARPA Program Manager for the Internet research
program, he became determined that BBN should try using Type 3 IMP-IMP
packets for normal TCP/IP flows. He complained to the ICCB/IAB that BBN
was resisting.  He insisted that the experiment be tried for 24 hours.
Unfortunately I don't recall that the experiment ever happened;
it is more than possible that BBN stone-walled his demand.

Bob Braden
'