[ih] virtual communities

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Mon Nov 23 13:30:21 PST 2009

Dave CROCKER wrote:

> Brian Dear wrote:
>> • 1985: Virtual communities
>> Way way inaccurate, and again, probably copied from The Guardian's
>> piece which also pushed this myth.  The WELL (which I have been a
>> member of since 1986) was a relative latecomer to the world of online
>> communities if you compare it to PLATO, which in 1973 had notesfiles
>> (message forums), chat rooms, and instant messaging.  The WELL
>> wouldn't exist for another dozen years.
>

> net-based mailing lists were active by around 74 or 75, initially for
> discussion about email.  it was immediately clear that each list created
> a community of interest.

When did USENET arise?  I'm pretty sure it was UUCP-based (not IP-based)
when I first heard of it in the WELL days, but I don't know the dates.

--
Requiescas in pace o email              Two identifying characteristics
                                              of System Administrators:

ICBM Targeting Information:
	http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs
	http://tinyurl.com/7tp8ml