[ih] emoticons

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Mon Nov 23 13:13:16 PST 2009

Brian Dear wrote:
> • 1982: The first emoticon.
> The real history is that emoticons were far richer and more graphically
> complex BEFORE 1982.

Could be interesting to try to amass anecdotes about early efforts in this area.

Around 1973 I was using a Tenex system -- probably ISI's -- for an IM chat with
my brother (I was on the West Coast and he as still at Arpa in DC) and whatever
it was that he typed, I decided to feign being extremely upset about it.  I
remember being really amused at my cleverness and had a huge grin as I typed my
supposed how upset I was, to him.

He immediately typed back massive apologies and regret, and it dawned on me that
he couldn't see my smile.

He and I then chatted about communication of affect over a typing channel and
came up with some symbols, like -U- for a smile and -M- for a smirk (or perhaps
that was a frown.)

I suspect there are many equivalent stories.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking