[ih] We can hang up now, it's all done.

Larry Press lpress at csudh.edu
Sun Nov 22 18:38:45 PST 2009

Marty Lyons wrote:

> "DIAL" appeared in
> 1966 on the Q-32 as noted by R. Linde and P. Chaney.

If DIAL was the chat-like command to send a message to a specific user
in which you had to know the ID number of the TTY they were using
(instead of a user name), I think it already existed in 1965 when I
started using the Q32.

> (an EIES programmer from NJIT in the early '80s -- thanks to Larry for
> remembering us :)

I remember it fondly -- we did a "teleconference on teleconferencing"
which ran for some time and was written up in a document that I still
have -- totally cool and inspiring even at 10 CPS on a TTY.

Lar