[ih] We can hang up now, it's all done.

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Sun Nov 22 16:32:35 PST 2009

And along these lines, Brian can correct me because even though PLATO
was a block down Springfield Ave, I personally didn't have that much
contact with them.  Others in our group did.

The earliest AIM, messaging I am aware of was Jim Calvin's Tenex hack
that we used on the ARPANet in 1972.  I still have transcripts of
some of those evenings or did.  We called it teleconferencing in
those days, but it was basically AIM.  I could go back and look but
Jim had hacked the Tenex command that let you share "screens." (The
early version let everyone speak at once and the characters would be
interleaved. After he got it running, he quickly started adding all
sorts of features.  (I may even have the documentation somewhere).
We had been using almost nightly to chat and discuss "big ideas" and
I believe that people got wind of it and it was included in the ICCC
72 demo of the ARPANet.  After that there were a spate of papers on
"teleconferencing" at some conferences.  Again, it was messaging, not
what we call teleconferencing today.

Also in early 1976, we used a PLATO plasma screen to which a touch
panel was added interfaced to an LSI/11 as a single use "intelligent
terminal."  The LSI/11 was running a stripped down version of UNIX
that we created called EUNIX.  It was either an early X-Windows or an
early PC depending on your point of view.  The first version was used
with a land use planning system that displayed maps of the 6 counties
around Chicago down to the township (6  by 6 sections) and section
level (a square mile) with land use data stored on 2 databases on
either coast and accessed over the ARPANET.  There was a keyboard for
major text entry but interface was primarily driven by touching the
screen.  Data could be searched, displayed, combined and otherwise
manipulated and displayed in graphs and maps.

A version was also created for the DoD that was used in DC and Hawaii.

Take care,
John