[ih] We can hang up now, it's all done.

Guillaume Latzko-Toth latzko-toth.guillaume at uqam.ca
Sun Nov 22 11:51:00 PST 2009

Hello,

It's my first post on this list, which I found
very helpful with the dissertation I'm completing
on the development of online chat and IRC --
particularly your interesting discussions on the
origins of the "talk" command. The expertise and
experience of Internet and networking gathered here is impressive.

At 03:03 2009-11-22, Dave CROCKER wrote:
>I must be in a very strange mood, because I
>think the summary is an interesting and pretty
>reasonable -- if still rough -- effort, and is fixable.

Concerning the following point in the proposed chronology:
>When Apple pulled out of the AppleLink program
>in 1989, the project was renamed and America Online was born.

I didn't know about the link between AppleLink
(never heard about it actually) and America
Online. I thought that AOL was formerly known as
Quantum Computer Services, which was previously
known as Control Video Corporation, which had
itself bought out the "PlayNet" (pioneer) online
gaming service in 1985 and renamed/rebranded it as Q-Link (QuantumLink).

Somebody can corroborate this version? Any input
that could help me get this story right would be appreciated.

Regards,

Guillaume Latzko-Toth
Ph.D. candidate in Communication Studies
Université du Québec à Montréal
http://grm.uqam.ca/?q=latzko