[ih] IPv4 address size debate

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Fri Nov 13 21:24:45 PST 2009

Well said.  Engineering is *always* about getting the job done with
minimal use of resources, and you always identify and focus on the most
expensive resources to drive the design.  The numbers have changed over
the decades, but the fundamental task remains the same.

In addition to processor speed and circuit capacity, the other major
variable is cost.  That 1MHz computer back in 1980 cost a million plus
dollars - 1980 dollars.  The 3 GHZ machine on my desk today cost me $200
a few months ago.  For $1M I could get a whole bunch of them!  I think
the challenge now is how to use *lots* of cheap processors (and memory)
to do what you need to do.

When I was involved in IMP/X.25 networking, it was always the case that
the cost of the hardware (which we were selling) was insignificant
compared to the annual cost of the circuits.  It was common to do a cost
analysis which showed that the cost of a network (the boxes) would be
recovered in a year or so by savings on the communications lines.  So
the ongoing operational costs are just as important in the design
process as the costs of the equipment.  It all goes into the design
process.

It would be interesting to see someone do an analysis of the changes
over time in computing and communication capacity, with cost (upfront
and recurring) and inflation factored in.  Or maybe it's been done.
Which is relatively cheaper now and back then - computing or
communication?

The goal is a moving target too.

We (at least I) never envisioned carrying lots of (or even any) video
data on the Internet, and certainly not high-def TV with independent
channels (no broadcast) to millions of end users.

Computers back then had maybe a few dozen simultaneous users, and maybe
there might be hundreds of computers on the net.   It's amazing that
this stuff still works with millions...

OTOH, I would never have predicted in 1980 that in 2009 there would be
millions of people typing one-line messages with their thumbs on tiny
keyboards with miniscule screens.   And on a device which is actually
just as capable of providing instantaneous real-time voice
communications!  What are they thinking...?

The numbers change, the user expectations change, the underlying facts
of life change.  Engineering design has to sort through all that and
come up with a good approach that will work now and for at least a
little while in the future.

If it's too easy to get a design to work, then your solution is probably
overengineered and therefore wasteful.  But if the parts are so cheap,
you may not care.  The process of design becomes the larger cost, and
therefore that's what you minimize...

/Jack Haverty
Point Arena, CA