[ih] Users vs Hosts on ARPANET

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Wed Nov 11 08:26:50 PST 2009

> One thing I do know of are the so-called "ARPANET Directory" books, which
> list many (but not _all_) people using the ARPANet. New versions came out
> periodically (every year or two, perhaps?), and one can get some idea of
> growth from them.

I thought the standard for getting into the ARPANET Directory was that you
had a NIC handle and were in the NIC database.  Jake F. probably remembers
far better than I do, but as I recall, this meant you fell into one of
the following categories: (a) the official contact for an IP address; (b)
the official contact for a host; (c) had a TAC account; or (d) were a contact
for some IANA number (protocol, port, EGP AS)...

Even for BBN, I doubt more than 25% of us met that requirement but we were
all on the 'Net.

Thanks!

Craig