[ih] Users vs Hosts on ARPANET

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Tue Nov 10 17:52:35 PST 2009

At the places like BBN or SRI, it might be very easy to tell because
it was the employees, but I know at Illinois someone might have known
who all was using it, but it would have been difficult.  We had
people from several parts of physics, people from Argonne (Fermilab
didn't exist yet), land-use planners around Chicago, energy guys
doing the energy I/O matrix for the US economy, math, CS (some),
chemists, economists, musicians, dancers, and I am undoubtedly
leaving some out.

But Noel is right.  A good indicator would be an early ARPANET
directory but I know those didn't come close to including all of the
users.  At Illinois, it included primarily the people in our facility
alone, which was a fraction of all of the users of our node.

Frankly, no one really paid all that much attention to it.