[ih] internet-history Digest, Vol 37, Issue 6

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Mon Nov 9 06:10:40 PST 2009

That is interesting. I would have thought it was a little bit sooner,
but then there isn't much room for it to be much sooner.  ;-)

It is in some sense ironic.  We were so concerned about overhead
(both bandwidth and processing) that it was thought that the
transport protocol had to operate directly over whatever was at the
network layer.  The Europeans knew they had to deal with X.25 and the
pseudo header pretty much prevented TCP from use with X.25 directly.
And it was thought to be too much overhead to run transport over an
IP like protocol over X.25.  So WG6.1 chose the older TS protocol.
which was then carried into OSI as a liaison contribution to become
TP4.

However, when OSI finally got around to working out what the Network
Layer was all about (IONL) they found that it was 3 "sublayers."
Ironically, X.25 became a subnet access protocol at the bottom
(referred to as 3a) of the network layer (since that is what the
title of the document said it was!, i.e. a DTE-to-DCE protocol)  ;-)
Not the network protocol at the top of the network layer. The top of
the network layer was subnet-independent (referred to as 3c) or what
has been called the internet layer, where CLNP was connectionless
subnet independent protocol.  (For some reason the connection
advocates in OSI never did the connection-oriented subnet independent
protocol. They were invited to.)  For completeness, 3b was suppose to
be whatever was required to convert between subnet-dependent and
subnet-independent.  Although, I don't know of any such protocols
ever being proposed.

So OSI ended doing what WG6.1 had avoided. Transport (TP4/TS) over an
internet protocol (CLNP) that names the node over a network protocol
(X.25 or IP) that names the interface.  In the space of just a few
years the overhead issue had become a non-issue.

Had we gone this route, we wouldn't even have noticed the issues the
current silliness emanating from the RRG are struggling with. Where
the false distinction of loc/id split (you can't identify something
without locating it and vice versa) has backed into loc/loc split.
(Like that old joke that Communism was the longest most tortuous road
from capitalism to capitalism.)  But it just keeps getting messier
and messier as they try to save IPv6 from its own incompetence.  To
think this was all well-understood before 1990, actually to some
extent by 1972.

Of course, once one understands that the view of Transport and
Network as separate layers is the telecom (beads-on-a-string) view
and not the systems view and understands the natural structure of
that class of protocols, you realize that IP is unnecessary as a
distinct protocol.  In essence, TCP was split in the wrong direction.
It would have been better to split vertically to separate "control
from data" which yields a much more powerful, efficient and flexible
design.

We were all too heavily influenced by the politics of the debate and
what we thought was the case and not enough by what the problem was
telling us, i.e. the science.  In some sense, it is too bad that
software is so forgiving and Moore's Law allowed us to avoid problems
that we could get by and didn't have to dig deeper.  Now we have
quite a mess on our hands.