[ih] internet-history Digest, Vol 37, Issue 6

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Mon Nov 9 03:27:32 PST 2009

> Also, IEN 21 is dated January 1978.  The split must have occurred
> well before that because if *my memory serves* ;-) one of the
> discussions in arriving at INWG 96 by Dec 1977 was whether or not the
> protocol chosen could be used over something other than a datagram
> service and for TCP, IP already existed.

A few years ago I went digging to try to find out when and where IP
was invented.

The simple answer appears to be it was created in a hallway conversation
at an TCP meeting at ISI in 1977.  (Full answer is more complex and
involves tracing various research efforts and ideas to that hallway...).

Thanks!

Craig