[ih] Throwing packets away

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Tue Nov 3 02:27:18 PST 2009

we assumed that the transmission system(s) below IP level would not be
guaranteed (ethernet and packet radio and dynamically shared satellite
channels did not have the same properties that ARPANET had). So we
built into the TCP layer a re-transmission scheme. This led to the
need for re-sequencing and detection and discard of duplicates. The
flow control in TCP was adapted from the CYCLADES sliding window
mechanism. Gateways (before they were called routers) had finite
storage and because packet networks were NOT synchronous end-to-end,
there was the potential for congestion. You might have a 10 Mb/s
interface on one end sending to a dialup device on the other end. A
good deal of experimentation went into the TCP round-trip time
estimates and packet loss was assumed to be a potential hazard. Van
Jacobson was a pioneer in the development of mechanisms to discipline
TCP flow control, and slow-start to detect when congestion resulted in
packet loss. The capacity of a dynamically shared packet net varies
continuously depending on the traffic matrix. It is not like circuit
switching where capacity is dedicated and unused even when no traffic
is flowing between pairs of end points. Consequently, there was need
to adapt the flow control window on a more-or-less continuous basis
and the potential for congestion produced a concomitant packet loss
potential. one of the interesting statistical observations was that
fair allocation of capacity among dynamic flows could be achieved by
random discard of packets (rather than discarding the packet that
encountered the buffer overflow). This was referred to variously as
"random early discard." Finally, a crude signal was devised to
indicate congestion back to the source when a packet was discarded for
lack of buffer space.

vint