[ih] ARPANet anniversary

Larry Press lpress at csudh.edu
Mon Nov 2 12:56:36 PST 2009

> And speaking of the Internet as a distinct entity, whats it's birth-day
anyway? I would call it the first day on which a packet was sent from one
host, across a particular kind of network, through a router (or gateway as we
called them back then), across another network, into another host. (That would
have been a TCP packet, I guess - no IP back then!) So where and when was
that?

There was evidently a demonstration of ARPANet, SATNet, and the San Francisco Bay area packet radio network in October 1977.  Was that the first public demo?

There is a diagram of the demo network at:
http://www.sri.com/about/timeline/images/1977map_000.jpg

I include it in a 12-slide teaching presentation on Internet history at:
http://localhost/som/presentations/tcpip/tcphistory2.ppt

Any corrections would be appreciated by me and my students.

Lar