[ih] ARPANet anniversary

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Mon Nov 2 11:55:49 PST 2009

Noel Chiappa wrote:
> Call me picky, but I do like to differentiate between 'the Internet' and 'the
> global communcation/information catenetwork'. The birth of the ARPAnet is, I
> think, the birth of the latter, but to me, not the Internet. (I.e. the entity
> which speaks TCP/IP

Worthy technical distinctions, and important enhancements, but they do not
represent paradigmatic changes, in global, historical terms.

The introduction of packet switching fundamentally changed the economics of
wide-area data communication and the original user services (applications)
created during the Arpanet have remained in continuous and important operation
into today's Internet.

 From the perspective of the mass media, it makes far more sense to use this
initial demonstration of the Arpanet as the start of the Internet, than does a
reliance on TCP/IP.

IMO.

d/
--