[ih] ARPANet anniversary

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Mon Nov 2 08:21:32 PST 2009

On 2 Nov 2009 at 10:43, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> Something I'm curious about, though: how much of this stuff was all
> demonstrated internally at BBN, first? E.g. I would have guessed that the
> first frame (for want of a better word to differentiate IMP-IMP datagrams
> from host-host datagrams) sent from one IMP to another happened at BBN?

Yes.  We had a three-node network up and fully running [we could debug
the routing code and such with it].

> Did BBN have any host-IMP host interfaces (and hosts) they could play with,
> or were the host interfaces at the user sites the first ones actually plugged
> in and tried?

Those were the first *hardware* host interfaces.  I can't remember when
we connected up an actual host to an IMP at BBN -- the host interface
hardware must have been shaken down by Severo's crew but I can't remember
anything about how that happened.  The host *code* in the IMP was already
pretty much debugged: the way we implemented the imp-TTY to imp-TTY
communication (which had been up and working solidy quite a while before
the IMP was even shipped west) was by a "fake host".  What the TTY
handler did, for both send and receive, was simulate acting as a real
host [and so all the reassembly, RFNMs, etc, stuff was exercised by it].
There was another fake host that was a little DDT-like debugger that also
ran as a host and hacking from the IMP console TTY was a little like
using telnet [a decade later..:o)]: you had to tell the local TTY handler
"connect me to Host X at IMP Y" and then it just acted as a regular host,
sending and receiving traffic.  If the "remote host" was the other IMP's
TTY, then we had a primitive IM system; if the "remote host" was the
other IMP's debugger, we could restart the IMP, install patches, etc.  We
could [did] help debug actual host code that way [sending to/from a
"real" host from our TTY "fake" one].

And so, also as a systems guy, that's why I was relatively unimpressed
with the host->host "L O <crash>": the *system* had _already_ been pretty
much tested.  The 1822 host interface was just one of a number of "host
plugins" that the IMP code handled [including the TIP, which also ran as
a "fake host"].  From *my* point of view, the only real new ground that
was broken there [and that was done well before the "L O"] was that the
Imp-Imp modem code was actually running over a relatively-long real-world
communications line [with real delays, errors, noise, etc] rather than on
our testbed].

  /Bernie\
mailto:bernie at fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA