[ih] ARPANet anniversary

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Mon Nov 2 06:53:48 PST 2009

On 2 Nov 2009 at 9:11, Craig Simon wrote:

> Here's another article on the 40th anniversary of the first host to host
> communication on the Arpanet, including a video of Leonard Kleinrock
> with the original IMP log (at the very end).

Does the IMP log include the part where the BBN folk had been exchanging
messages over the "net" for a couple of weeks before UCLA and SRI started
getting their host interfaces and software running?

The event that Len keeps trumpeting as the first message sent over the
net was, of course, nowhere *NEAR* that: it was the first, staggering
steps at debugging the *host* code and interfaces at UCLA and SRI.  The
net, itself, had been up and running for a little while by that time.
Ben Barker [who was at UCLA] reported when he first saw the light on the
imp lights-panel tell him that the SRI IMP had just come up, which to my
view would _really_ be when the ARPAnet first came alive.

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie at fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA