[ih] Baran and arbitrary reliability from arbitrarily unreliable components

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Mar 12 05:49:13 PDT 2009

I think Noel is dead on.  It is reasonably clear that Baran
influenced ARPA, but that Davies not having access to RAND reports
came up with the idea independently.

At the level of ARPA deciding to fund such a thing, the influence is
going to be nebulous as he describes after all it is a management
level.   They are looking at the idea from a high level.  They aren't
going to worry about the details. If you want to see if Baran's ideas
were implemented then it would be ARPA that you want to look at but
BBN.

Noel also brings up another good point: documentation.  Believe it or
not, but we have become a much more oral society.  With people
interacting more using transient communication ranging from more
frequent meetings, to email, to messaging.  The usual documentation
of what happened tends not to exist. The actual events that lead to
something are seldom documented.

Just as a minor example, I remember how shocked I was when I saw the
first "minutes" of a standards meeting.  Because none of the social
dynamics, the politics, the game playing were of course reflected
there.  That was clearly the real story, the story that historians
would eventually be interested in.  Because those were the real
reasons things turned out as they did.  And in this field, there is a
tendency to make it up or argue that "they must have been thinking X"
based on where we ended up.  When nothing could be further from the
case.

Every time I read one of these accounts I think of Tom Stoppard's Arcadia.