[ih] Baran and arbitrary reliability from arbitrarily unreliable components

Matthias Bärwolff mbaer at cs.tu-berlin.de
Wed Mar 11 12:32:19 PDT 2009

John Day wrote:
> The idea of "building reliable systems from unreliable parts" was very
> much in the air during this period, because of John von Neuman's
> seminal paper of roughly that title.  It is von Neuman's paper that
> first proposes triple modular redundancy and works out the math for
> it.  Everyone was reading it and the turn of phrase was common.
Baran refers to the 1956 von Neuman paper in a 1960 RAND report (P-1995,
http://rand.org/pubs/papers/2008/P1995.pdf) and also to one by Moore and
Shannon on the same subject.

On my initial question: I gather from your responses that the
intellectual influence of Baran is significant, and that many of the now
commonplace ideas about networking are due largely to him (and Pouzin).

However, I recall having read in several places that ARPA had not been
influenced by Baran's work at all, and Roberts only had been made aware
of Baran's work by Davies in the 1967. Just found that odd. Has the RFQ
in 1968 been written in complete ignorance of Baran's work? After all,
it envisages packet orientation and distributed routing.