[ih] Baran and arbitrary reliability from arbitrarily unreliable components

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Wed Mar 11 03:18:29 PDT 2009

Adding to Noel's excellent remarks:

Baran was designing a VOICE communication system for command and
control. The "message blocks" that his system routed around ("hot
potato routing") were chunks of voice. Small packets for rapid
delivery (low latency). Radio based. Small packets also reduce
likelihood that error correction would fail (this from guesswork and
memory, I may be wrong about forward error correction but I believe it
was included).

a very radical piece of work. It was rejected by the then telecom
experts of the Defense Department who "KNEW" that the only way to do
telecom was circuit switching.

How wrong they were.

Vint Cerf
Google