[ih] Secret precedence schemes back then

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Wed Jan 28 15:04:04 PST 2009

Mike Padlipsky wrote:

> Hofstadter's Law.... It always takes longer than you expect, even when
> you take Hofstadter's Law into account.

Sheldon's Law speak to the general case:  Things take longer than they take.

    How long will it take to get that job done?  That will take two weeks.

Better to add 10 per cent to the two weeks, then double it.

Corollary:  Things cost more than they cost.

And I don't have robust evidence for this, but it seemed apparent to me
that at least through the age of the 1100/90's, the third or fourth most
commonly used instruction in the instruction set will not be provided in
the follow-on models.