[ih] Secret precedence schemes back then

David Mills mills at udel.edu
Tue Jan 27 13:14:56 PST 2009

Scott,

There were three reasons for the secret. First, Steve and I felt that
the emergency provions would be provoke controversy and and pit one side
of the community against the other. Second, I had a rather poor
reputation with Cornell for fiddling with the critters without extensive
testing, which was really hard to do as we had no backroom equivalent
network. Third, I was sleeping next to a telephone for most of two years
and getting weary of tiny pipes flooded with nine-ton gorillas.

I have to admit to a couple of other crimes as well, incluiding a nasty
scheme that the telcos call "call gapp". The scheme was designed
according to a fairness principle bassed on the total amount of queued
data for each IP source address. This determined whether a new packet
was dropped or an old one was preempted.  It was intended to get even
more nasty should the perp fail to moderate traffic when confronted with
an ICMP source quench, but so far as I knew, nobody but the Fuzzballs
actuall responded to source quencn.

I bet nobody even now responods to a source quence.