[ih] Secret precedence schemes back then

David Mills mills at udel.edu
Tue Jan 27 08:17:21 PST 2009

Mathias,

Busted after all these years. In the bad old NSFnet days the interactive
customers were being crushed by other traffic, so I modifed the
scheduling algorithm to implement a classic precedence scheme using the
IP header TOS field. Then, I changed NTP to use the highest priority and
telnet to use the next highest. Steve Wolff and I agreed to do thes as
an emergency measure and to keep it a secret ftom the Cornell operators.
I never told anybody and I don't think Steve did either, so somebody
else figured it out. If you look closely at my SIGCOMM paper you can
probably figure it out, too.

23 years after the crime, it is past the statute of limitations.

Dave