[ih] IANA

Johnny RYAN johnnyryan1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 09:43:14 PDT 2009

Thanks - I will ask Steve and hunt for info on the self organization
effort and Magaziner's entry to the scene.

Re subsequent controversy, further chronology...
17 September 2003, the US Department of Commerce agreed an extension
of the memorandum of understanding with ICANN until September 2006.
On 30 June 2005, the NTIA issued a statement of principles on the
Internet’s domain name and addressing system that says 'The United
States Government intends to preserve the security and stability of
the Internet's Domain Name and Addressing System. … and will therefore
maintain its historical role in authorizing changes or modifications
to the authoritative root zone file.
December 2003, UN held a World Summit on the Information Society in
Geneva establishes working group on internet governance
2005, working group reports back that Internet governance should be
the preserve of no single government and mooted various mechanisms
whereby ICANN would come under the authority of an intergovernmental
body.
Tunis, 2005. This is due to be discussed, US is isolated in opposition
(after EU shift in position) to intergovernmental body's control. The
establishment of a five-year Internet Governance Forum is agreed at
the meeting to debate the issue.

--
My Next Book... http://johnnyryan.wordpress.com/books/net-history-2010/

Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnnyryan1