[ih] IANA

Johnny RYAN johnnyryan1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 07:18:27 PDT 2009

Dear All,

I'd to make sure I have the chronology and causality right in the
development of ICANN

>From 1968 onward, Jon Postel volunteered to keep track of the
addresses of host machines on ARPANET and then Internet.
In 1983, the same year as Mockapetris developed the DNS, Postel setup
the IANA to manage the addresses and domain names
1992, NSF issues solicitation for bidders to perform network
information service management
1993-1998, Network Solutions contracted to perform domain name
registration service - working with / under (unclear here) the IANA
1995, controversy arises when Network Solutions proposes a fee for
registering domains - the fee was apparently envisaged by NSF at the
outset, and the Dec 1994 review of Network Solutions work recommended
the fee. Controversy however came from the hesitancy on the part of
some about Network Solutions having a monopoly and the prospect of
their having no oversight from 1998 onward
1997, prompted by Ira Magaziner, Clinton administration commits to
privitization in its 'Framework for Global Electronic Commerce'
1998, January, US Department of Commerce Green Paper 'A Proposal to
Improve the Technical Management of Internet Names and Addresses'
proposes a private, not for profit corporation to coordinate DNS
1998, US Department of Commerce publishes statement of policy on
Internet names and addresses and announces the beginning of a
transition of DNS functions to the new corporation, following a period
of further study and consultation.
November 1998, ICANN signs memorandum of understanding with the US
Department of Commerce to undertake joint study of the future for DNS
management that would be operated by the private sector.
December 1998, ICANN signs a transition agreement with the University
of Southern California in which it assumed the functions previously
fulfilled by the IANA.

If this chronology is accurate, then the next problem I have is
understanding where the controversy from 2005 came from...

I hope all of you are well, any input would be much appreciated.

Johnny

--
My Next Book... http://johnnyryan.wordpress.com/books/net-history-2010/

Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnnyryan1