[ih] AT&T, carterfone, the 103, and why didnt BBSs start earlier?

David Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri Aug 14 16:21:02 PDT 2009

Vint,

I recall that 103s were $25 per month; that's when a POTS line was
$7.50. I used an accoustic coupler anyway. After the FCC Carterfone
decision AT&T began offering Data Access Arrangements and offbrand 103s
became available. I had the first DAA installation in Michigan. Ma Bell
sent literally a fleet of cars, trucks and installers to light up the
thing. The installers ignored my ham radio phone patch, which
technically was illegal, but the installers didn't care. Upon returning
to the US in 1972 I called to order a DAA and the operator asked what
color I wanted. True story.

Dave