[ih] AT&T, carterfone, the 103, and why didnt BBSs start earlier?

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Thu Aug 13 22:33:48 PDT 2009

If there's interest in physical manifestations of the hardware from
this era, I was inspired to photograph my Bell 113A "DATAphone" so you
might see what some of us were using circa 1978 and earlier.   <http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=95847&id=508217899&l=edbc972609
 >  (Yes, it still works and I've used it as a voice phone on my
Vonage VoIP telephone service, pulse dialing and everything).

Someone also pointed me to a document on the silent700 terminal that
was also quite popular during that time <http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ti/terminal/984025-9701_743_KSR_745_Portable_Maint_Dec75.pdf
 > - the silent700 was a 300 bits/second terminal that was "silent" in
that it used a thermal print head on paper.  Certainly silent compared
the teletype it often replaced, and portable, too.

louie