[ih] ARPAnet maps?

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Sun Aug 2 11:46:40 PDT 2009

I collected a bunch of them at BBN about the time the ARPANET was turned
off and we published them in CCR but I cannot find them in the on-line
version (perhaps I'm searching in the wrong place).

I then donated the originals to the Computer Museum.

Sad story -- I went hunting for maps a few weeks after a new secretary
had thrown away a 20+ year complete collection thinking they were no
longer needed.  They were part of BBN's reports to DARPA and DISA.  So
somewhere in the National Archives, there's a complete set of maps from
1969 until ARPANET was turned off but the non-Govt copies, except those
I collected, are largely lost.

Thanks!

Craig

> Sandy Murphy just asked me "I was wondering if you knew of a map of the
> Arpanet somewhere on-line? Something with the old figures representing
> the imps and the imp names, etc."
>
> Does anyone know of a collection of ARPAnet maps?  I am sure I have seen
> one sometime.  If not, should we try to collect all the (readable and
> undamaged) images of ARPAnet maps?
>
> Bob Braden

Craig Partridge
Chief Scientist, BBN Technologies