[ih] NCP to TCP/IP Transition

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Mon Apr 27 10:49:12 PDT 2009

The date of transition was 1 jan 83 but for almost 5 years before that
I was pushing implementations of TCP/IP in as many operating systems
as possible. It was only after all these implementations were done
(and many tested for interoperability) that I began pushing in late
1981 or early 1982 for a planned (mandated) transition to TCP/IP.
Mainly this meant all ARPANET hosts had to change or drop off the net.
We had the ability to kill NCP at the network level and did so twice
during 1982 to show we could do it.

vint