[ih] Hosts.txt

Marty Lyons marty at martylyons.com
Mon Dec 17 14:28:44 PST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007, at 11:25 AM, Craig Partridge wrote:

> I've written a history of the development of networked email (from
> early ARPANET days to late NSFNET
> days) that is to appear in the IEEE Annals of the History of
> Computing early in 2008.

Somewhat related to Craig's effort ... I'm continuing work on a paper
which covers the evolution of inter-terminal messaging (now popularly
known as "instant messaging"); several of the sources are here on the
list.   It should be complete in a few months; if you're interested
let me know and I'll send you a copy when ready.

This is a continuation of work from Ed Lazowska's terrific History of
Computing graduate class here at the University of Washington (joint
with Steve Maurer at Berkeley and Geoff Voelker at UCSD).  You might
be interested in some of the lectures available for viewing:

Class site:  http://www.cs.washington.edu/education/courses/csep590a/06au/
Lectures:  http://www.cs.washington.edu/education/courses/csep590a/06au/lectures/

Marty