[ih] Old version of HOSTS.TXT available?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Dec 13 05:20:41 PST 2007

    > From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr>

    > I'm searching for an old version of HOSTS.TXT

The oldest official NIC one I could locate online quickly was from 22 March,
1985, here:

  http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/tops20_v6_1_tcpip_installation_tp_ft6/06/new-system/hosts.txt

Maybe someone has an older one stashed away that's not online?

If all you need is the information, there's an MIT/Stanford 'hacked' one
online from March 15, 1983 (which interestingly is pre-TCP, unlike the 1985
NIC one), here inside this archive:

  http://its.svensson.org/SYSHST%3bAR1

That's an ITS archive, but since it's not compressed, and the contents are
mostly text you can just grovel through it with an editor and find the file. I
don't think there's a non-ITS archive program to read ITS archives; if you
must, you can log into its.svensson.org (use TELNET) and run the ITS archive
reader on it. (Have fun learning DDT!)

The directory:

  http://its.svensson.org/SYSHST%3b

contains much other interesting semi-antique trivia.

    > preferrably somewhere around RFC 608 (1974)

That's into serious history. Someone might have to spin a backup tape (if
there's a drive, and the tape doesn't disintegrate) to get one that old.

	Noel