[ih] WWW dates

Mike Padlipsky the.map at alum.mit.edu
Sat Oct 7 13:33:56 PDT 2006

At 08:58 AM 10/7/2006, Dave Crocker wrote:
>Since Anonymous FTP was a usage variation of
>FTP, rather than a technical enhancement
>requiring specification, I'm not sure its
>inception was documented.  I would guess it was
>fully functional by 1975, but have no direct
>memory of who or when it was started.

funny you should mention that.

from

"And They Argued All Night..."

...over whose claim was right: first at which, and for what, and with whom.

                                 M.A. Padlipsky
                                <map at multicians.org>
                         Copyright © 2000 by the author.

[matrix news, peter h. salus, editor,
somemonthorother, 2000; full piece still
available in/on the author's 'personal web page'
even tho the matrix news site seems to've gone away]:

[...]  The neat ideas zipped around the design
meetings at a great rate of speed (and volume,
usually; in both senses of the term). Even before
we all hit at best EarlyMiddleage (and I fear I
crossed over into MiddleMiddleage last May; most
of the others still have a few years to go,
though, damn them) we didn't really remember
who'd come up with which neat notion. Indeed,
over at least a 22-year period before the
untimely and intensely lamented death of Jon
Postel, he and I had frequent conversations
trying to reconstruct the origins of a number of
neat notions and we almost never succeeded, even
on many of the ones I was fairly sure had been
his (which, in fact, was most of them). And
before the 'Net became big business, it was
fairly easy for us to shrug it off; things had
worked out, and what did it matter whether he, or
I, or Gary, or even one of the BBN guys -- who
always seemed to get to write the histories and
hence always seemed to have claimed to have
invented everything, anyway, perhaps because BBN
was the only "for-profit" to furnish key members
of the original Network Working Group -- had
actually been the first to enunciate an idea that
was almost always implicit in the discussion to begin with?

Now, however, there seems to be at least some
celebrity value attached to that sort of thing,
if not indeed some financial value. There might
even just possibly be a minute amount of value to
be attached to "historical accuracy", or
"intellectual integrity", or some other
hopelessly pre-GenX abstraction, but it would
doubtless be a tactical error to espouse that
sort of thing. Besides, as indicated, some of the
current claims stick in my craw, and Peter did
ask me to "write something" and didn't get at all specific as to what, so...

Let's start with the one I'm in fact quite
certain I was the inventor of, especially because
I can't recall which of the BBN guys is claiming
it and so I can put off the delicate question of
whether I want to name names for a while longer:
"anonymous login". I remember pretty clearly,
despite being somewhat unsure as to who the other
person in the conversation was (Dirk, maybe?),
being at SRI for some sort of meeting sometime
around 1973 and being told that "the NIC" (or at
least Jake [=Elizabeth Feinler - PHS]) was
worried about this idea to put the RFCs on-line,
because they'd have to establish all sorts of
accounts so people could FTP them. "That's easy,"
I said, "just use my NETML trick." By which I
meant, and went on to explain, that just as I'd
had to propound a conventional universal "dummy"
id and password so that netmail (as we'd called
it when we were inventing it, but I'll get to
that soon enough) could work via FTP without
causing grave harm to the security (and
accounting) mechanisms of at least some of the
Hosts (mainly Multics, of course, since I was the
Multics Network Technical Liaison at the time),
all the NIC needed to do was establish a single,
known account everybody could use to slurp the
RFC's from. "'guest' would be a perfectly fine
id," I went on, "and the password should be
'anonymous', since we'd gain some measure of
security in that people'd have to know how to
spell it and of course not everybody does." Or
words very close to that, and to exactly that
effect, even if I actually gave the id and
password values in the reverse order. [The NETML
trick was enunciated in RFC 491, in case you care
-- and in case it ever gets scanned in so you can care. -- MAP]

Now, EarlyMiddleAge Memory (EMAM) being what it
was, and MiddleMiddleAge Memory (MMAM) being what
it is, naturally I don't recall whether I read
that one of the BBN guys was laying claim to
"anonymous login" the other year or saw it on one
of those overly-coy little "courses" PBS (the P
is for Pious, I like to observe) has taken to
showing, before I decided they annoyed me so much
I won't watch any more. (Even if I were on one?
Irrelevant question. I didn't get rich, nor did I
get my claims to've invented things into "the
literature" early enough, because my company
didn't get commissioned to write the "First 10
Years" report and wind up being visited first by
the Internet history book writers.) But I submit
that anybody who knows me knows that the crack
about security has to be one of mine, and MMAM
insists that whoever was laying the claim gave it
as his own, which makes me suspect that the
charitable explanation of parallel evolution
doesn't apply and it was either his EMAM in play
or just plain theft of intellectual property.
Fortunately, anonymous login isn't really
anything to be proud of -- especially since it
was exploited for a famous security breach when
it was misimplemented on a certain highly-popular
Host type -- so I can rise above.

reprinted by permission of the author
/signed/ The Author

[the reference to peter should be obvious; the
reference to gary alludes to gary grossman, who
was mentioned in the preceding paragraph, which i
omitted because it depended on the paragraph that
preceded it and i didn't want to make this even longer]

cheers, map

[whose shoulder problems caused him to break down
some time ago and create a 'signature' file to
apologize for the lack of his formerly customary
e-volubility -- and who's been employing
shiftless typing for a long time now to spare his
wristsnfingers, in case you didn't know ... and
who's further broken down and done
http://www.lafn.org/~ba213/mapstuff.html , rather grudgingly]