[ih] WWW date?

ian.peter at ianpeter.com ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Oct 5 17:45:42 PDT 2006

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 15:18:41 -0400
> From: "Phill Gross" <PGross at PGross.net>
> Subject: [ih] WWW date?
> To: <internet-history at postel.org>
> Cc: 'Jeff' <jhdphd at sbcglobal.net>, 'Len Kleinrock' <lk at cs.ucla.edu>
>
> Here's a question I bet this group can answer in a flash:
>

> Various sources show either 1989 or 1991 as the date for the "birth of the
> web".  Apparently Tim Berners-Lee supports the 1989 date.
>

> Does anyone have more of the story?  Does the 1991 date have any
> significance (eg, some major release date) or is it simply wrong.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Phill Gross

     As in many things it depends on what you mean by "birth of the web"

     Was it Ted Nelson's Xanadu? (probably the earliest direct origins
with the concept of hypertext)

     Was it the concept of a url? (necessary pre-requisite)

     Was it html (necessary pre-requisite)

     Was it availability of a browser (necessary pre-requisite again)

     So you can probably spin it a bit earlier than 1989, but certainly the
     Tim Berners Lee work brought this all together.

     Ive written a brief history a few years back at

     http://www.nethistory.info/History%20of%20the%20Internet/web.html

     and there are a few other links of relevance on the site. I realise
     looking back at this I don't have a date for either url or html - did
     any of these relevant standards precede the W3C split from IETF?

Ian Peter
www.nethistory.info