[ih] WWW date?

Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Thu Oct 5 13:12:42 PDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 03:18:41PM -0400, Phill Gross wrote:

> Various sources show either 1989 or 1991 as the date for the "birth of the
> web".  Apparently Tim Berners-Lee supports the 1989 date.
>
> Does anyone have more of the story?  Does the 1991 date have any
> significance (eg, some major release date) or is it simply wrong.

According to the copy of _Weaving the Web_ I have here, 1989 was the
year in which the Web proposal was circulating at CERN (see p 22);
The WorldWideWeb browser/editor was communicating with info.cern.ch
by 25 Dec 1990 (p 30); and WorldWideWeb was shared inside CERN by
March 1991 (p 45).  In May, Paul Kunz visited, saw the system, and
liked it.  He took it with him when he went back to SLAC in Palo
Alto, where he introduced the Web to Louise Addis (p. 45).  Dunno if
that helps clarify.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
A certain description of men are for getting out of debt, yet are
against all taxes for raising money to pay it off.
		--Alexander Hamilton