[ih] origins of the term "router"

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Tue May 16 16:24:34 PDT 2006

The router term definitely showed up after the gateway term.  My
vague recollection was that it started as a "marketing" term.  But it
is vague.

Was there an attempt to draw a distinction between boxes that
converted between different protocols at the same layer and those
that had a common protocol but different protocols at a lower layer?

Being a relativist, I remember I didn't like having different terms
for the same thing just because it was at a different layer!

Take care,
John