[ih] internet-history Digest, Vol 13, Issue 1

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Mar 13 14:12:17 PST 2006

If I were a betting man, the term "ping" came from it's use in sonar
contexts, to refer to a signal intended to be echoed.

I have no direct evidence or memory of the first use, but the fact that
BBNers were in an acoustics-centric technical milieu suggests that
"ping" made a perfect analogy for probing via echoes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the term ping was used for probing via echoes
in NCP and PARC's PUP protocols (predecessors of Internet Protocol and
ICMP).