[ih] A laugh and a question

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Mar 10 16:12:30 PST 2006

    > From: Jon Snader <jsnader at ix.netcom.com>

    > Here's the story from the man who invented it:

It's probably useful to point out that the basic "ping" functionality (not
sure about the timing aspect), and programs to send them, existed before Mike
Muuss did the Unix "ping" command.

I don't have the energy to dig through any of my source listings archive from
the late-70's'/early-80's, and I don't offhand recall the names those
commands went by, but ICMP Echo Request and Echo Reply existed from a fairly
early stage (in fact, probably prior to the existence of ICMP as a separate
protocol).

Maybe someone has the energy to dig through the early RFC's and add more...

	Noel