[ih] Query: When did the IETF change to "everyone can come"?

Mike Padlipsky the.map at alum.mit.edu
Mon Dec 4 13:33:17 PST 2006

At 07:27 AM 12/4/2006, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>- The IETF started out as "people who work on DARPA projects related
>to the ARPAnet"
>- It continued as "people who work on ARPAnet/Internet connected networks"

A Semantic Puritan's Point is clearly called for here.  Given that
the "I" in "IETF" is for "Internet", unless "started out" is being
used _very_ loosely the IETF per se _can't_ have started out as
consisting of people who worked on APRANet-related projects only
(ARPA/DARPA-sponsored or not ... despite the fact that at some level
everybody working on the 'Net was _supposed_ to be *ARPA sponsored)
-- especially since for perhaps half a dozen (or more?) years people
who were working on what we usually just called "the 'Net" hadn't
even heard of  the Internet since the term hadn't been coined
yet.  Indeed, for around four or five years the underlying concept
hadn't even been publically enunciated ... and that's based on using
1969 as the first year even though it's doubtless arguable that the
'Net was actually being worked on before '69.

(And there's at least one person who still regrets that the earlier
coinage, "catenet", for concatenation of networks, didn't prevail
over the less recondite/amusing "Internet", even though that coinage
wasn't one of mine.  [I first heard it from Vint, I'm sure; I suspect
I discussed it with him at some point in the last decade or so, but
MiddleMiddleAgedMemory serves as fault as to whether he believed it
to have been one of his or in fact somebody else's orginally which he
took up the cudgels for at one point in time.]  But, then, I still
deplore the emergence of "e-mail" for what we called "netmail" when
we were inventing it -- and not only because "netmail" was one of mine....)

cheers, map

[who's sitting here chuckling to himself over how many of the Old
Boys are in a state of shock that he let it go at that, without even
raising the intriguing side issue of whether the "A" in  "IAB" was
ever for anything other than "Architecture" and "Activities", much
less which came first, much less any of the three or five other, at
least semi-intriguing, side side issues that come to what's left of mind.]