[ih] New article on Internet origins

Ronda ronda.netizen at gmail.com
Mon May 2 10:21:14 PDT 2005

On 5/2/05, David P. Reed <dpreed at reed.com> wrote:

Since the "origins" (whatever that term might mean) go back to the
"network of networks" ....
 One characteristic it seems most do agree on that is that the Internet is
not a single network but a network of networks or a metasystem.
 Given that characteristic, the nature of the protocol which makes this
metasystem
possible is important, and particularly that the protocol that makes the
internet
possible is the tcp/ip protocol.
 Knowing something about the process and history of developing this protocol
is something valuable for those who want to understand the nature of the
Internet and how it has developed.
 There are many myths out there. There is a need for accurate history and
understanding of the development.
 The work in progress I have on the development of the tcp/ip protocol is
an effort to have knowledge of the process be available rather than
mythology
that one doesn't need to know anything about the internet and its
development
or that one can't know anything, etc.
 I have the work in progress online and welcome comments.
 It is online at
 http://umcc.ais.org/~ronda/new.papers/birth_tcp.txt
 The title is:
 The Internet: On its International Origins and Collaborative Vision
(A Work In Progress)
  Also I have other papers online about the early development of unix,
useneet etc
(and these are also in the book that Michael and I co-authored "Netizens: On

the History and Impact of Usenet and the Internet" published by the IEEE
Computer
Society Press and distributed more recently by Wiley.
 A draft of the book is online at http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/netbook/
 with best wishes
 Ronda