[ih] Censoring the history of the Internet

Mike Padlipsky the.map at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 14 03:11:09 PDT 2005

I've been working on an article about the censoring of Internet history
which I think should be of interest to most readers of [ih].

With apologies for the inconvenience, it can be found at
http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/firstmap@sbcglobal.net/ ,
just sitting there as the file called "ppapp.html".  It's there because I
prefer to protect my good old real, but small and pro bono, ISP from the
many hits it might well receive, so I choose to use the awkward personal
web page-imitation furnished by my new ISP-impersonator for it
instead.  (The ISP-impersonator came with the DSL line I finally broke down
and sprung for recently, and I figure I might as well get some use out of it.)

[This, by the way, is the "unpoliticized" version of the article, despite
what some readers might think.  In fact, out of perhaps misguided sentiment
I'm still trying to hold out against using the alternative version I did in
response to the suggestion that it would be more publishable if it were
refocused toward the broader "Internet Governance" theme, which I received
when I submitted an earlier version to one of the more-or-less prominent
(non-"nerd") "e-zines" -- even though I do find the "politicized" version
more amusing....]

BONUS:  Take two Good Marks out of Petty Credit if you know enough
pre-Internet technohistory to be able to explain why I'm doing this
today.  (Indeed, e-let me know what you came up with and I'll grant a third
Good Mark -- provided you got it right, of course -- the Petty Credit
budget's running a surplus these days/months/years.)

cheers, map
http://www.lafn.org/~ba213/mapstuff.html

"One (indeed, perhaps the only) indisputable benefit of the 'Net is that
you don't have to waste any stamps on, nor be complicitous in the killing
of any trees for, letters to editors and/or other invincibly smug corporate
behemoths that aren't going to be responded to because they show said
institutions up, but need to be sent anyway."

        --first new, official Elements of Networking Style Slogan in
yearsandyears