[ih] Protocol layering

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sun Dec 4 18:03:58 PST 2005

My recollection from the late 70s and early 80s is that we spent a lot
of meeting time trying to figure out how our TCP/IP/etc technology fit
into the OSI 7-layer model, with notions like "layer 2a" and such
shoehorning.   Eventually we gave up and just wrote code.

In retrospect, the CCITT model was based on telephony, and the only
major function that the telephone network really did was to create a
virtual circuit for streams of voice.   The Internet was so much more
complex that I don't think it fit well into that model.  Telephone
instruments only talked to each other and to "the system" when dialing
or disconnecting.   Internet "hosts" talk to lots of other hosts for
many purposes - web, file transfer, DNS, SNMP, ICMP, EGP/GGP/IGP, and
lately all sorts of other "P2P" stuff.   It seems to me more of a mesh
than a tree-like layer cake.

Hmmm, perhaps TCP/IP is the first example of the success of "Open
Source" - OSI docs were expensive and hard to get, TCP/IP was readily
FTP-accessible.   I suspect that most of the people writing the early
Internet code didn't have copies of the OSI docs.  (I had only a few of
them)  The prevalent attitude that I saw, both within the Internet
community and in the Telephony/X.25 crowd, was that TCP/IP was a
research experiment, and eventually the professionals would get the OSI
spec completed, implemented, and TCP/IP would be forgotten.

Then the customers decided to use what worked instead of waiting.

Anyway, if I was looking for an OSI document I'd try to find Mike
Padlipsky as a likely source of ancient documentation.

/Jack Haverty, Point Arena, CA
(ex-BBN, ex-Oracle)
www.3kitty.org